Sunday 31 January 2016

A non-Christmas do in Manchester


A lot of my weekend dates in January are actually belated Christmas celebrations with those friends who I can't meet up with at Christmas. We never say it's our 'Christmas do' because, let's be honest, how depressing are they in January? 


This weekend, my bestie and I decided on a sophisticated 'non-Christmas do' to make up for our lack of going out with each other over actual Christmas. We love our post-Christmas get together just because it gives us something to look forward to in January. The venue was Thaikhun in Spinningfields, Manchester, for an evening of Thai food and then some cocktail night caps.
Hello Kate Moss Rimmel no 30 dark plum lippy!

Spoiled for choice!
I will never ever refuse Thai food. I spent two summers trekking around Thailand and south-east Asia and ate myself into a Thai infused food oblivion. I can cook some Thai dishes as well- pad thai and mango sticky rice are my specialities. My first experience in Thailand was a bitter sweet one but my second visit put everything right that hadn't quite been the way it should have the first time I went (more to follow in a future post). Either way, Thai food always reminds me of the time I became a solo traveller and I just love the stuff- it's an awesome fusion of memories and amazing flavours.

Thaikhun was incredible. The outside area would be perfect for eating out in the summer and the inside is decorated in Thai street style to replicate the night time food markets they have over there. It's a very pretty setting, though probably more Koh Phi Phi beach style than Bangkok. The food is reasonably priced and you can keep nipping to the bar for drinks, meaning you miss out on that awkward bill- split at the end of the night between the designated drivers and the raving alcoholics. Splitting the bill (excluding drinks) between four people for a starter, main and dessert will probably cost you around £20 or so.

I had my Thai favourites- pad thai, followed by a the moon pancake which was stuffed with coconut infused rice with mango sorbet on the side. The mixed platter starter is also a good sharing option for some heavenly Thai nibbles.
The sharing platter

Pad thai with shrimp

You can't eat Thai without a pancake for dessert.

Manchester House mojito!
To round off the night, we had a cocktail in Manchester House where the entrance looks like an office building but there's an amazing bar on the top floor. I had the BEST mojito in there before a final drink at The Alchemist. I've heard a lot about this bar but have never been (same with Nando's) . The mojito wasn't quite  as good as the one in Manchester House but the setting was pretty cool and reminded me of Snape‘s potions classroom in Harry Potter meets Ikea. They concoct an array of
weird and wonderful drinks (menu here) and my first visit here was a bit like my first time in Subway- order something you know so you're not holding up the queue of experts waiting to order their fabulous concoction! Another visit is definitely on the cards!

You'll be a while deciding on a tipple at THE Alchemist
Maybe January isn't so bad after all: get some nice things on the calendar, see your besties and before you know it, February will be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment