Sunday 28 February 2016

Some cool and pretty things that happened this week




It was back to work this week. If you read my post about some of the stuff going down in education at the minute (link here) you’ll know I was feeling a bit apprehensive about going back.  I feel very much in limbo at the moment about whether things will change or if I’ll be off elsewhere. Plan B is on the go and in the meantime, I’m trying to take my mind off things and surround myself with life’s little pleasures. I fully admit some are shallow but if my February Birchbox takes my mind off things, fetch me another!

1. Wedding planning
I had my first fitting for my dress over the weekend. It was a perfect fit and I just have to go back in June to see if the lining needs altering slightly.  On Sunday, I went to a wedding fayre at the Mere Court Hotel (link here). It’s good for a number of reasons- there are plenty of canapés and free flowing prosecco. The last time we went, my mum got completely wankered and it did make me think that if she managed to get that hammered at a wedding fayre, imagine what a bash the actual wedding will be. The hotel is pretty too and it is the perfect size for a wedding fayre, making it less daunting and more cosy than the whacking great big ones they hold at exhibition centres.

In all of my bride-to-be-wisdom, I would say that I am definitely a fan of the smaller wedding fayres held in hotels. They are easier to stroll around without getting overwhelmed and you get absolute bargains from local suppliers.  I picked up my wedding flowers from one of the vendors and spent about £100 for bridal and bridesmaid bouquets and lapels, a fraction of the cost I was expecting to pay.  Get to the smaller wedding fayres, enjoy the stress-free browsing and spend you money with the humble locals rather than the big brand chains.

PS. This wedding fayre was totally Instagrammable too and I’ve nabbed loads of ideas for my own table decorations.







2. I went to a book launch, darling.
On Saturday, me and my other half went to a book launch in Waterstone’s Manchester. The author, Oscar De Muriel was launching his new book and my partner was keen to go after he enjoyed the first book so much.  It was cosy (held in the cafe), free (with free booze and nibbles too) and interesting to listen to the guy do a reading and chat about his new book.  Waterstones do a lot of these events apparently, have a mooch at their events link (here) and even some of the bigger events only charge a really small fee.


The book itself is the sequel (link here) to the first one which I haven't read yet but since Oscar described the series as 'The X-Files in Victorian times', I'll definitely be putting it on my reading list (just as soon as I get around to finishing Gone Girl)!


3. I reminisced about my travels.
Spent some time daydreaming about California and other solo adventures I’d been on.  There’s a future post to follow on why all you gals need to travel alone at least once.

Venice Beach

My travel love: San Francisco




4. I bought a new foundation brush.
No, this isn’t ground-breaking or life-changing. But I really like my new Real Techniques Expert Face brush from Boots. It’s like a mix between a flat foundation brush and a rounder powder brush meaning that as well as painting on your foundation in strokes, you can also buff it into your skin using a circular motion. The finished result? I look even, airbrushed and natural, all at the same time. Nothing short of a miracle for my make-up application.


5. My February Birchbox arrived! 
I have no shame in saying that it made my heart flutter and I keep lifting the lid of the box for a little peek of my goodies. £15 this month got me a new blusher brush, face scrub, body lotion, a full size champagne coloured eye-shadow, a super-duper hair bobble and a blow dry product. Lush.


No comments:

Post a Comment